RFI

Re: [RFI] Using VHF HT to "sniff-out" RFI

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Using VHF HT to "sniff-out" RFI
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:46:31 -0600
Roger,

Several articles have been written over the years (and postings made on
this reflector) about the usefulness of AM mode in tracking down noise
sources.  Those HTs that offer aircraft band reception do use AM for that
range, and so are acceptable.  The least effective mode is FM, because of
the use of limiters in the receive signal path.  (The exception occurs when
tracking down RFI due to cable TV systems.  If the system is analog and has
leaks in the 2m band, an FM HT is ideal for locating the source of the leak
by using the audio portion of the signal.)

As for the list of rigs, you may wish to add the Yaesu 817, which is the
QRP version of the 897, costs less, weighs less, and can be powered by AA
cells.  I agree that rigs with SSB capability can be used, but AM mode does
work better with arcing sources.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

AM mode