RFI

Re: [RFI] Compuer lockup

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Compuer lockup
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 18:57:13 -0500
On 2/19/2012 1:08 PM, sebdesnCC wrote:
> Mine just makes the monitor shut down when I set "tune" on the transceiver
> to make the auto tuner set itself ,other than that all is well..

I have 2 Quad core computers running over 3 GHz connected to a Gigabit
CAT6 hard wired network with a total of 5 quad core Athlon computers on
it. The computers are within 3 feet of the main station capable of
running the legal limit with enough overhead to do it 24 X 7 (Amp is an
Emtron DX-2sp driven to the legal limit by a Yaesu FTDX5000MP). The
older station in the house runs an old Alpha 76, soon to be running
either a  pair of 3CX800s, or possibly an 8877 driven by my old Icom 756
Pro The station and computers use the same ground system.  There are 33,
8' ground rods Cadwelded (TM) to over 600 feet of bare #2 copper.  The
ground systems for the shop and house are tied together with different
electrical feeds for the power line.  However there is a common ground
for feed lines and stations where they enter the respective buildings,
but as both stations use the same antennas it gets a bit complicated.
Feeds are underground to the 45G and through steel conduit inside the
shop.  NOTE ALL the computers use wireless keyboards and mice. Of course
there's about a 6' USB cable to the transmitter and receiver for those
remotes.  The computers in the den are also about 60-70 feet from the
fan dipole.

BTW the two computers in the shop also connect to the router in the
basement directly under the station here in the house.  The 3 130' long
CAT6 runs are within 10' and parallel to the feed lines from the house
station to the 45G along with the telephone line and control lines for
the 6-pack and 2 remote antenna switches.  That's two to the computers
and a spare.

I've never had a problem bothering the computers, but when I first put
up the sloping, half wave, center fed 75m fan dipole about the time I'd
hit 1 KW out strange things would start happening with LEDs for the
remote antennas switches and the 6-pack control head for SO2R operation
would light up. I build up a center insulator out of two 1/4" thick
Lexan plates epoxied together and mount for a home made 1:1 choke balun
using 6 turns of Davis BuryFlex(TM) on 6 2.4" OD #31 ferrite cores.
Originally I had one of these chokes in the feed line where it reached
the tower. The addition of the one at the center of the antenna removed
all trace of common mode RF getting back into either shack.  Really the
best place for a tuner on the 75M fan dipole is at the feed point. I may
end up with a remote tuner on the tower and feed the fan dipole with
window line from the tuner. It may be a true remote, or use relays to
cover sections of the band.

Unfortunately the big antennas (Force 12 C19 XR &  WARC 7, M^2 40M3-125,
and a 7L C3i 6-meter Yagi, are all down for maintenance. The work is
done but I'm temporarily grounded. At least I hope it's temporary. The
C19XR and WAR 7 go back up on a 50' 25G on the West end of the shop.
The C19 XR will be at the top of the 50' tower with the WARC 8 about 10'
above that.  The 40M3-125 is slated for 100' on the 45G with the 7L C3i
going back 15' above it at 115'. At least that's the present plans.

73

Roger (K8RI)