RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI & Alarm Systems?

To: <qrv@kd4e.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI & Alarm Systems?
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 17:24:51 -0700
: It sounded as though you reported that their "unintended radiation"
: extended far beyond their building into the street and into your vehicle
: - jamming your use of 440.

No, all the freqs I mentioned are ones I happen to know off the top of my
head used for wireless alarm systems.  Even the 440 MHz stuff.  I've never
noted RFI from one, though I suppose the electronics could cause problems
and maybe their power supplies.  Many of the systems in general, however,
are very sensitive to legal radio operations.  I've triggered many with a CB
running 4W into a 102" whip and many more running 100W in the Ham band using
a 12' whip.  In fact, when I would visit larger cities, I'd get a kick out
of calling CQ and leaving a swath of building and vehicle alarms going off
behind me for miles, like the wake of a ship.  Hilarious!

Kurt