RFI

Re: [RFI] Brickwall plus ISOBAR

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Brickwall plus ISOBAR
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:11:15 -0600
I recently picked up a couple of "outlet" strips that came out of a server farm. These strips are TrippLite PDU-2430 and rack mount with 24 outlets with a 120V 30A cord entering them. The 120V cord was connected to a box which I believe was a brickwall protector. The interesting thing is that the 120V feed is split into two 120V 15A circuits (each having a circuit breaker) and ALL safety grounds are tied together inside the 24 outlet box. The rack that this came from had 2 other PDUs mounted adjacent on the same rack effectively tying all safety grounds together for 6 circuits (72 outlets).

By tying all the safety grounds together many of the surge issues recently discussed are greatly minimized. TrippLite touts this on their web site that since all the chassis of the equipment are at the same potential the damage to low voltage logic between equipment is minimized.

Larry, W0QE