RFI

Re: [RFI] Alvarion Pro 6000 Wireless Internet Hardware? - Follow UP!

To: "RFI e-Group" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Alvarion Pro 6000 Wireless Internet Hardware? - Follow UP!
From: Eric - VE3GSI <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:11:34 -0400
Follow up:

We decided to go with the Xplornet ISP and the Alvarion ground base hi-speed wireless receiver. While upgrading our Internet connection we also purchase a new wireless Netgear router and Hitachi 3TB external drive. I am pleased to reports good results with the insulation and new equipment.

The hi-speed receiver provided by Xplornet is mounted on my home weather station mast, just above roof level and at least 75' from my radio station, all coax cables for the Ham radio station come in near the rig, well away from the hi-speed Internet receiver. My HF radio antennas are dipoles tuned for each band. The CAT 5e shielded cable provided by the dealer has metal jacketed RJ45 connectors, also provided is a lightning/static box c/w ground connection, all cables were installed by myself. The CAT 5e shield cable to the outside receiver also has a separate ground wire.

The Internet termination point inside the house is about 28' away from my rigs on the opposite side of the house, which is where I installed the wireless router. My Ham station uses two CAT 5 LAN cables (one is for the weather station) that run from the new router. These cables are not shielded.

The new router is a Netgear WNDR4500 dual band wireless network. I was very pleased to see that the RJ45 jacks on the router actually have proper connection points for the metal hooded RF45 connectors, the power supply on the router has a three prong plug. I did try a LinkSys dual band router and by comparison the LinkSys in my opinion is a piece of junk with cheap power supply light weight construction and no provisions to use shielded RJ45
connectors.However, neither router caused any interference to my HF gear.

Since I have a daytime zero floor noise on HF it is easy for me to see any RFI caused by anything in the home. There was a very very slight (and I do mean very very slight) increase in noise on HF caused by the wireless Internet receiver. So low it is hard to see Icom 756 pro III display, unless you have someone plug in the equipment while watching the display. A fellow living with existing noise would see no difference.

All the new equipment (including a Hitachi 3TB external drive) have switching type power supplies. The router has a fancier power supply with a three prong AC plug. There is noise on my portable broadcast band AM radio, only, when I put the rig within a couple of feet of the new gear. None of these new power supplies are causing me a problem on HF.

So far I have not had a problem with when transmitting with my HF gear, and I really don't expect a problem as the old network worked just fine.

73,
Eric VE3GSI
----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric - VE3GSI" <ve3gsi@sympatico.ca>