RFI

Re: [RFI] Line noise update

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Line noise update
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 17:58:36 -0400
On 10/09/2012 11:41 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
Great news on your progress, Paul. Ours is such a noisy world that it's
become really common for our noise levels to be the combination of many
sources.  Now that you've knocked down the strongest ones, you're
hearing weaker ones.

Hi Jim,

My description wasn't very clear. The remaining 'mystery' noise is very intermittent and was clearly audible above my several constant sources. I could also see its group of noise pulses rising between and above the others on the scope when it kicked in. The trick was as a I moved toward it, the strength of the constant source just beyond came up more quickly than the 'mystery' noise, eventually masking it as I approached. As you know they are all a little different in how they radiate, how much they are conducted along lines, etc. I discovered things can get really interesting when you are tracking multiple sources in close proximity to each other! I'll eat my hat if the remaining issue doesn't turn out to be on the 46 kV line (a number of clues suggest that), but it seems to radiate from one point only; it isn't conducted along the line and radiated from multiple structures like some of the others.

Don't rule out the possibility that some of those
that remain may be electronic noise generators in homes.

Absolutely. I've got a few of those, too, which I will begin to deal with shortly. I think one may be an electric fence, but more investigation is required to confirm that. Another is some unknown device in a neighbor's home. The latter was a second or third tier noise that only became known to me after the strongest constant power line sources were eliminated.

73,
Paul N1BUG