RFI

Re: [RFI] rfi problem

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] rfi problem
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2012 08:43:09 -0400
Back in the late 1980s, not long after cable came to town, we had massive problems with crud all over VHF/UHF including a whopping carrier on 145.25. In this case, it turned out to be poor installation by the cable company, not anything subscribers did.

Several calls to the company resulted in denial of any problem. One day we discovered we could get almost every cable channel by turning our rooftop antenna toward a box (line amp?) on a nearby pole and routing it to the cable box. After a subsequent call requesting our cable be disconnected because we were getting it for free with a rooftop antenna, a problem that was previously said to not exist was miraculously fixed - and fast! They never entered any homes, but replaced that box and associated connectors on the pole. The carrier level on 145.25 dropped to a rather low level and all other crud disappeared.

Paul