RFI

Re: [RFI] 160m ARDF / fox hunt antenna

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 160m ARDF / fox hunt antenna
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:18:01 -0500
Paul,

Well done!

I've done some sniffing like this on 80 meters, and you need to drastically reduce the receiver sensitivity to make sense of things when you get close in. I used a 6 inch diameter untuned shielded loop made of coax and a T fitting on an AR8000 receiver and was able to walk along suspect blocks to find the dwellings and in some cases the exact room the RFI came from.

People who saw my car with its mag-mounted loop antenna, and me walking along sniffing, were dashing into their back yards to disconnect and hide illegal cable hookups they'd installed for a football game. Heh!

Cortland
KA5S