RFI

Re: [RFI] Telephones and DSL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Telephones and DSL
From: Aaron Kreider <aaron@campusactivism.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 00:26:06 -0500
I'm not an expert, but my guess is that you use a ferrite material that attenuates low frequencies and enough turns on the telephone cable then it would kill the DSL signal.

My understanding is that It attenuates everything that isn't shielded.

You might be able to pull off ferrites if you have a very strong DSL signal and don't need the upper part of it, and target your ferrites to attenuate from 1- 1.6 mhz.

At my past house I had a horrible DSL connection with a low signal to noise ratio. I got cable and was much happier. I think you can put ferrites on cable without a problem because the signal it is shielded (correct me if I'm wrong).

If you login to your DSL modem you should be able to see your signal to noise ratio. If you want advice on dealing with internet issues (for instance what a good signal to noise ratio is) - the forums on dslreports.com are great.

Aaron