RFI

Re: [RFI] Ballast for fluorescent lamp

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ballast for fluorescent lamp
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:00:43 -0500
On 12/24/2012 11:46 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 12/24/2012 8:29 AM, Steve wrote:
The big-box stores only carry the electronic ballasts. Wonder if the
electronic ballast will cause me problems?

Expect them to be noisy.  Noise is radiated (at least) three ways --
from the tubes themselves,

I have 11 2 tube, 8' fixtures. They have the big black inductive ballasts. No noise from tubes or wiring. That's 1650 watts and no noise with no shielding. Purchased them from Lowe's.

However due to our "nanny state" feds I understand the 8 footers may soon be made of unobtanium.

I used to buy the full spectrum versions 2 cases at a time and replace them all at one time.

73  Roger (K8RI)

 from wiring between the controller and the
tube(s), and from power wiring. I've seen advice from the EMC community
that it's possible to shield the fixture with screen wire to kill the
wiring from the tube, and radiation from power wiring can be killed with
a good common mode choke, using the measured data of Appendix One of my
RFI tutorial as winding guidelines.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73, Jim K9YC