RFI

Re: [RFI] Radar Engineers RFI Analyzers

To: "RFI Services' Michael Martin" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Radar Engineers RFI Analyzers
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:06:42 -0500
I don't doubt for one second the RE equipment is worth the cost if one can somehow manage it. I sincerely wish I could have that equipment to work with. It would make my life simpler.

The situation may be different in areas with higher median income but here I can assure you the vast majority of hams would have no other choice but to get out of the hobby if it came to down to RE equipment being necessary to get use of the bands back. I dare say even several our clubs combined could not hope to raise a sum like that in less than several years.

I've done pretty well with a combination of relatively inexpensive equipment consisting of

135 MHz AM receiver with 3 element yagi

445 MHz AM receiver with 7 element yagi

40 kHz ultrasonic receiver with 12 inch dish

Total investment just under $800 which was still a challenge but it *was* either that or give up *all* on air activity.

In many cases I have been able to identify a specific piece of hardware causing noise. In all but one case I have been able to identify the source structure. The more experience I get, the easier it becomes, naturally.

I am having difficulty with one, possibly two sources and will ask about it on the RFI forum shortly.

Paul Kelley, N1BUG
RFI Committee chair, Piscataquis Amateur Radio Club