RFI

Re: [RFI] A reply for the Power line noise experts

To: "RFI Services' Michael Martin" <mike@rfiservices.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] A reply for the Power line noise experts
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 15:03:51 -0500
Thank you Michael. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Following this same procedure which you explained to me several months ago I successfully located numerous sources which have since been fixed. The method works great and has been very helpful!

Evidently this last small area exceeds my ability. Constantly changing strength of the noise has me at wits end. As soon as I eliminate the weaker signal they both disappear. In the time it takes to move from one set of poles to the next the strength of the source is guaranteed to have changed. It is virtually guaranteed to change in the second it takes to swing the yagi from one pole to the other. I can't get a consistent or repeatable reading anywhere. If peaks occurred with some regularity it might help, but they don't. A given peak level observed at one instant may not be seen again for hours. I have made dozens of attempts and still do not know for certain which pole is the source.

It looks as though I will have to live with this one unless I get better equipment or the noise changes in some way that makes it easier to locate.

There is just one house with a live electrical feed in that stretch (plus two vacant and disconnected).

There is one final bit of purely circumstantial evidence. I realize this doesn't prove a thing. Even if it did, I would still be left with 7 poles and no way to be certain which of them is responsible. There has been only one fair weather day in the past 8 months when these two noise signatures were not present. The 5 hour absence coincided to the second with opening and closing of cutouts on a section of the 46 kV line. The 13 kV line remained live during this time.

Paul, N1BUG