RFI

[RFI] RFI via Florescent Lights, HP 5328A & 2/440 HT?

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI via Florescent Lights, HP 5328A & 2/440 HT?
From: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 14:13:19 -0500
How's that for an odd nexus?

If my 2/440 HT is on 440 and I turn on the two 4' florescent
lights in the office/radio room it remains quiet.

If my HP 5328A frequency counter is powered-up and I turn on
the lights the squelch is tripped.

If the counter is not powered-on this does not happen.

The HT is connected to nothing (no external PS and only the
short antenna) and is sitting 20" from the counter.

There is a 7" antenna connected to Channel C of the counter.
If I remove that antenna it does not happen.

When the HT is 6' away, rather than 20", it does not happen.

If the HT is programmed to 147.000 it does not happen.

It seems apparent that the counter is leaking UHF out of
Channel C.  Is that normal?

I was testing the counter & taking a picture prior to
posting it for sale and stumbled upon this odd behavior.

WDYT?

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
David Colburn nevils-station.com