RFI

Re: [RFI] DirecTV systems

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] DirecTV systems
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 10:15:58 -0700
On 3/28/2013 9:52 AM, David C. Cole wrote:
1.  Make sure all splitters have termination on unused ports.
2.  Make sure all items are grounded as per code.
3.  Make sure all cable connections are tight as can be.

Of these, I would place the greatest emphasis on #3. With respect to #2, the real issues are

Termination of the cable shield at each end to the shielding enclosure, NOT directly to the circuit board;

and

bonding together of all grounds within the premises by short, fat copper. That includes, but is not limited to, telco, CATV, satellite, power, ham antennas, and lightning protection.

I see no relevance to his #1 with respect to RFI. The real issues are his #3 and the cable shield issue (The Pin One Problem), both of which are well known causes of both ingress and egress with systems of all sorts.

73, Jim K9YC