RFI

Re: [RFI] Shielding a ground wire

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Shielding a ground wire
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 00:30:18 -0700
On 4/25/2013 8:33 PM, Aaron Kreider wrote:
The ground wire is getting RFI because it's all over the house's
internal AC wiring.

It means that you have voltage on the ground wire , or between the wire and earth,

How and where is it getting on the wire. Does the ground wire have a good low resistance earth connection.

Don't forget, a current flowing through the wire may produce substantial voltage between the end and true ground.

Is perhaps the ground serving as the neutral for some circuit, causing current to flow in the ground wire instead of the neutral?

Just some things to think about

73

Roger (K8RI)

Side note:  I haven't yet tracked down any local noise sources because I
rent out two apartments and I want to have the battery packs so I can
take my whole setup portable (QS1R, laptop, and might try carrying the
Wellbrook loop as some of the noises are weak).  I want to minimize the
annoyance caused to the tenants and ideally deal with everything in one
or two visits.

Aaron