RFI

Re: [RFI] Comments on RFI from Ductless Air Conditioning Units?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Comments on RFI from Ductless Air Conditioning Units?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 12:23:47 -0700
On 5/12/2013 10:37 AM, Jeff Stevens wrote:
  Whenever there is AC (or worse yet, square
waves) there is going to be SOME level of RFI, no?

Yes -- but the difference between good design and bad design is HUGE. The major drivers of this are 1) rise time -- faster rise time = more RFI 2) minimizing the radiation of RF noise by confining RF current to transmission lines, and to small loop areas; 3) proper design that avoids Pin One Problems, including "Pin One-Like Problems" with the power system green wire; 4) the use of twisted pair for all conductors carrying those square waves; 5) proper filtering on power wiring.

The question becomes what level is acceptable for a particular installation.
In my case, if it's VLF/ELF noise or HF noise below the noise floor on antennas
some distance away, I don't really care.

Of course. The good news is that the "proper design" above is EASY, and not expensive, but both the product manufacturer and the installer must be smart enough to implement it.

Several years ago at an IEEE EMC conference, I heard/saw an EMC engineer present one of his product designs for an Ethernet router/switch that was completely unshielded, but yielded excellent results when tested for emissions.

73, Jim K9YC