RFI

Re: [RFI] heterodyne on 17 meters

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] heterodyne on 17 meters
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 23:56:54 -0700
: discovered that the switching power supply in my Rigol spectrum analyzer
: radiates trash that is picked up by a loop near the unit.

OUCH!

I was called out East of Fallon NAS to track down some possible RF/magnetic
anomolies.  This was after having my watch overhauled after several years of
not wearing it and switching from an analog cassette recorder to a DVR.

My watch was on my left wrist, same hand I hold equipment in, DVR was off,
but clock and various soft-start circuits running, kept in left shirt
pocket.

The watch produces a high pitched whine and 1 pps pop, the DVR broadband
hash and whistles from LF to upper HF, even worse when on, forget about
audio documentation with that.  This drove me batty for a good five minutes
until I put two and two together.  I eventually put them in the truck and
parked it several hundred feet from where I was sniffing.

Kurt