RFI

Re: [RFI] EMI/RFI AC line filter design info?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] EMI/RFI AC line filter design info?
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 16:23:20 -0400
I have spent about 30 years doing EMC engineering, with some of the safety type thrown in, because safety and power line EMC filtering cannot be separated. We Amateur Radio operators are perhaps uniquely qualified, among those who use radio equipment, to design and build our own, but when it comes to power line filtering, the SMART choice is to find filters that are already qualified by test, listing and recognition of Nationally Accepted Test Laboratories (NRTL's) as safe when used for that purpose.

We used to say "UL Approved" though there are now a number of NRTL's whose mark is accepted by the various jurisdictions who have electrical and fire safety regulations. Luckily, we need not pay list price, there being enough such filters available excess to the needs of overly ambitious manufacturers. Some we can install ourselves but some, if we want (among other things) Homeowner's or Renter's insurance to cover damage from an unfortunate occurrence, we should not.

When installers or manufacturer's representatives modify an appliance or add a filter to one, THEY assume liability for the consequence if it fails. or the installation is done improperly.

Buy two and test one, but have an authorized representative or installer put in the one you will USE. Cheap is rarely good enough after something bad happens. If you *must* install one yourself, don't modify the appliance yourself if a licensed electrician can; add it outside the appliance with NRTL approved and marked wiring stubs and using good electrical wiring practices including to-code wiring and enclosures.

Dead is a one-time thing. Live and be safe.

Regards,

Cortland
KA5S