RFI

Re: [RFI] CO2 & CO

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CO2 & CO
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 07:58:47 -0400
On 10/25/2013 4:02 PM, K9AJ wrote:
Hello All,

CO2 (carbon dioxide) is only poisonous when it accumulates to a point
where it displaces oxygen in the environment,

Again, that is suffocation (lack of Oxygen) and not because you are breathing CO2 which is normally not considered poisonous, otherwise I agree with what you say.

It makes little difference once you are dead, but you can be resuscitated if removed from the lack of Oxygen, while CO poisoning requires treatment and specifically keeping the patient "still" rather than letting them exercise. With enough CO poisoning, the patient may have reached the stage where giving them Oxygen won't even work.

With CO2 you simply have to get enough oxygen back into their system for a rapid recovery, unless they were Oxygen deprive long enough to have done brain damage.

 73,

Roger (K8RI)

as in the Cameroun
disaster noted below.  Remember, CO2 is a large portion of what we
exhale, every time we take a breath.  It is heavier than air so can
accumulate in a valley (ie:  the Cameroun disaster) or a silo, etc.

CO (carbon monoxide) is a direct toxin.  It has a higher affinity than
oxygen for the hemoglobin in blood and prevents the hemoglobin from
delivering oxygen to body tissues.

73....Mike, K9AJ
Michael J McGirr, MD, FACEP