RFI

Re: [RFI] Adding a shield to the utility service lines?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Adding a shield to the utility service lines?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 21:45:38 -0800
On 12/4/2013 9:33 PM, Aaron Kreider wrote:
Another crazy option

Yes, it is. Shielding addresses differential mode RFI, and most trash on power lines is a common mode signal and radiates just like any other antenna. Although I tried a bunch of big clamp-ons on a twisted triad power feed back in Chicago, it was long before I understood how ferrite chokes work, and I'm now nearly convinced that it was a bad idea because a string of beads is inductive.

Even if you could shield that line (it belongs to the power company, so it's not a good idea), the common mode current would flow on that shield, and you would still need to choke it to prevent it from radiating.

73, Jim K9YC