RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI quiet USB 3.0 hub

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI quiet USB 3.0 hub
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 02:54:55 -0500
On 2/1/2014 10:00 PM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
Any experience on USB 3.0 hubs?

I realize asking about the “RFI” from a USB device (considering it’s
essentially a digital amp with tons of harmonics and a lot of handy antennas plugged into it) is a
bit of a stretch.  But thought I would ask anyway...

I run 4 Major computers with PCI cards giving additional USB capability. Two are in the den with one connected directly to the rig. A similar configuration is in the shop. The computer are about 2 feet apart and 4 feet from the rigs. The USB is not yet hooked to the rigs in the shop at present, but it was for some time.

The computers are on a gigabit, CAT6 LAN which also has dual band wireless capability that links to smart phone and tablets. There has been no RFI from this setup 160 through 6 meters on either station which is setup for SO2R. No RFI suppression has been required

There is a 5th computer, but it's quite a bit farther from the rigs although it is on the same network.

73 and good luck,

Roger  (K8RI)

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com