RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 133, Issue 23

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Digest, Vol 133, Issue 23
From: "ukbrown@aol.com" <ukbrown@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:53:31 -0500 (EST)
   Dave I have had two types of noises like this.
 1. from a old mercury vapor outside light system that was on a photo electric
cell. The bulb was burnt out and the owner took the bulb out but it was still
hooked to the AC. Thus at about sunset it came on and stayed on till day light.
 2. I have a suspect grow light going on near me and its on 24/7 or it might be
a router or some other computer device that is on 24/7. We did DF and with the
power companies help. Located the house that is giving off the noise. BUT the
owner is totally uncooperative with me or other hams as well at least from what
I can tell. He is uncooperative with ARRL. Not sure if FCC ever or ever will
contact him.
 Thus I do NO 160mtr contest since I can only hear the 40 over 9 signals. I
hear it on 80mtrs to a lessor degree and a bit on 40mtrs and 20mtrs to a much
lessor degree.
 Oh I might add I have Plasma TV noise from my close eastern neighbor and now
one from the west.
With Plasma TV there isnt much to do other than buy your neighbor a new tv.
  I think all hams that do HF will have there time in the crucible of noise on
way or the other.
 Thanks
bill brown
 K0UK

1. Re: [Elecraft] Noise, RFI ? (Dave
Hachadorian)----------------------------------------------------------------------Message:
 1Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 11:23:40 -0700From: "Dave Hachadorian"
<k6ll.dave@gmail.com>To: "reflector RFI" <rfi@contesting.com>Subject: Re: [RFI]
[Elecraft] Noise, RFI ?Message-ID:
<AF79EA5512B64FBDA9AC04666C07E1DF@Toshiba>Content-Type: text/plain;
format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";      reply-type=originalSince the noise
extends into the AM broadcast band, you should be able to DF it quickly with a
portable AM radio with its loopstick antenna.  Since the loopstick is
bi-directional, you will have to DF from two different locations and plot the
intersection to resolve ambiguity.Dave Hachadorian, K6LLYuma, AZ-----Original
Message----- From: Phil HystadSent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 11:15 AMTo:
Elecraft ReflectorSubject: [Elecraft] Noise, RFI ?Using my K3 I was trying to
pick up a ZL2 station (New Zealand) around 18.08 MHz this morning (about 9:50
AM PST
 ) when this huge noise blanketed everything out.  It was about 30/9 and
absolutely solid across the spectrum shown on the P3.  Using my KPA500, I
switched to the 20 meter band -- same noise, same level, same broadband
impact.I determined that the noise was from roughly 1400 KHz all the way up to
28.05 MHz.  All about 30/9.  About the time that I finished checking this full
MF/HF spectrum of noise it switched off.Then, it switched on, and stayed on for
about 5 seconds, then off again.  I turned on my Icom R75.  The next time the
noise came on I checked it with the R75 and the same noise, same 30/9 level,
same broad across the bands.Obviously man-made or under man control as it
switched on and off and was on for various periods of time.  This noise seems
to be close, like generated in the neighborhood someplace.Anyone have ideas of
the cause.  You noise experts (Jim?) should have ideas.  I was thinking maybe
an arc welding machine but that is just a wild guess.  It sure seems
 to be something that can be switched on and off.  It is not periodic in that
the on/off switching is at varying intervals.  The longest on period is about
one minute, the shortest on period about 2 seconds.  And, it has been quiet for
the last 10 minutes or so.Thanks for your help.73, phil,
http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htmPost: mailto:Elecraft@mailman.qth.netThis list
hosted by: http://www.qsl.netPlease help support this email list:
http://www.qsl.net/donate.html ------------------------------Subject: Digest
 of RFI Digest, Vol 133, Issue 23************************************