RFI

Re: [RFI] Ott filter

To: kgordon2006@frontier.com, RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Ott filter
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 10:56:16 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Ken,

Sadly, building EFFECTIVE filters is not an easy (nor inexpensive) task.
Commercially, there are high performance filters that start serious attenuation
at either 10 kHz or 14 kHz, and then there are medium performance filters that
start serious attenuation at either 100 kHz or 1 MHz.  NONE of these are in the
price class of being under $100.  "Serious" attenuation means having at least
60 dB of insertion loss at the lowest specified frequency, and increasing in
loss to a max of 80 to 120 dB, depending upon design and requirements.

Using your hefty hunk of iron and copper is not likely to work well.  For one
thing, the inter-winding capacitance between primary and secondary provides a
"sneak" path for RFI to couple around the device.  Another factor is that a
successful power line filter employs both differential and common mode
attenuation.  That means use of caps across the line hot and neutral, as well
as caps between hot and ground and neutral and ground.  It is not uncommon for
filters that provide significant attenuation at 10 kHz to have upwards of 3.5
AMPS of shunt current flowing in the caps that go from line to neutral and from
line to ground.  It's all reactive current, but it is real current and runs up
the power drain quickly.

73, Dale
WA9ENA