RFI

Re: [RFI] Shielded vs unshielded loops - difference

To: kgordon2006@frontier.com, Rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Shielded vs unshielded loops - difference
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 13:53:39 -0600
Hi Ken,

One thing to keep in mind when you choose a loop is the antenna factor. I believe your RFI is mainly on 80m. A small (10") loop that is not tuned will have a terrible antenna factor on 80 m. You may not even hear the noise from your house. Also, your receiver probably does not have a very good attenuator in the front end. When you get close to the noise, you can detune the loop and get some attenuation. You need to keep the signal right at the noise level in the null for the AGC NOT to work if the S-meter is not very good. When the AGC is NOT working, you can listen to the strength of the signal through the speaker. Again, remember the null is looking through the loop with the feed at the bottom. Also, I always put a choke balun right at the loop so I don't get false readings from picking up signals on the coax when the signal gets strong.

When you start your hunt, find the direction of the noise by nulling the loop. You now have an ambiguity in direction. Peak the noise by turning the loop edgewise and walk in one direction. Keep rotating the loop back and forth looking for the peak signal to get stronger. If the peak is getting weaker, walk in the other direction. When you get very close to the RFI, use the null feature of the loop and attenuate the signal by switching in an attenuator or detuning the loop.

I have been able to trace a grow light almost to the room in the house by not getting on the residential property. Once I find the house and if the RFI is on a timer, I will position myself in front of the house and wait for the noise to appear to make sure I have the right house.

If you get this far, email me and I'll tell you how I approach the grower. That is sometimes tricky and could be dangerous so I do not want to generalize here.

Tom   W0IVJ