RFI

[RFI] Resetting Auto Computer

To: RFI-contesting <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Resetting Auto Computer
From: Michael Germino <ad6aa@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 11:46:08 -0700 (PDT)
After reading the item from Jim below, I wondered if everyone knew how to reset
their auto computer.

Simply disconnect the Ground cable to the battery for about a half minute and
reconnect.
(Worked for my GMC pickup, there may be problems with some newer autos that may
be set up with some anti-thief protection.  Some auto radios have to be recoded
if power is disconnected.  So YMMV.)

I had a wiring harness problem that took a long time to find and fix, so
whenever the throttle control body wouldn't respond I would pull over and
disconnect the battery.  It would run for a few hours to a week before the
problem would return.

Mike
73, AD6AA

Another thing to watch out for with anything Toyota. I bought my 2006
Sequoia (big SUV) when I began my move from Chicago in the fall of 2005,
and tried HF mobile on some cross-country trips. That quickly ground to
a halt when I learned that RF was getting into the car's computer and
putting me in "limp home" mode. Since I was deep into moving, I had no
time to troubleshoot it, and once I had moved, no longer wanted to do HF
mobile. :) Items #1 and #2 are aimed both at this issue, and also at
minimizing RX noise.

73, Jim K9YC