RFI

Re: [RFI] re FW: Low Band Interference Report (non-ham radio reports)

To: Jeffrey Otterson <otterson_nospam@nhrc.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] re FW: Low Band Interference Report (non-ham radio reports)
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 11:26:47 -0600
Hi Jeff,

You should register a complaint with the store as well.

Tom   W0IVJ

On 7/9/2014 11:09 AM, Jeffrey Otterson wrote:
I had terrible RFI from fluorescent light fixtures I purchased at the local
big box.

They all have "commercial" rated ballasts "ACCUPRO AP-RC-432IP-120-1".
  These things suck.  I have two different style of lamps with these
fixtures, 8-foot, 4-tube strips and 4x2 foot suspended ceiling fixtures.

These fixtures all made a racket from 15M and up.  I had to turn off the
lights in the shop and the shack to work any weak signal stuff on 10M and
6M.

I significantly ameliorated this by installing Corcom 10VR3 line filters in
power supply wiring to the fixtures.  This took ~20dB of the noise away.  I
can have the lights on now.

I don't know why the "Home" store is selling industrial/commercial light
fixtures to homeowners.

Looking back over the archives, I see I am not the only one complaining
about these ballasts.

Jeff n1kdo