RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise on 3513.5

To: "Rfi List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise on 3513.5
From: "Mike Ryan" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 19:57:44 -0400
Actually, looking for transformers will in most cases be disappointing. Most people looking for noises immediately blame transformers when they are the least likely to be the culprit on a power pole. I say this because it has been proven time and again by the reps from Florida Power. Jim is right about the Tecsun radios...they are pretty good and were also 'suggested' by one of the RFI techs from Florida Power. If you don't know the direction the noise is from you, then you have that to find first. (If it is power company related, they are going to want to know that for sure.) Then go hunting..try to find it on the HF freq (3.515) in AM mode and then see if you can hear it higher up say on 20 mtrs or even 10 mtrs would be better. The higher in freq. the shorter distance the noise travels. If you can hear it on 144 mhz you are likely very, very close to the source. By the way, my buddy Mike, K4PRO in Bradenton, Fl had a similar issue with the warbling/varying noise on HF, which turned out to be a Direct TV Receiver in a neighbor's house. -Mike

-----Original Message----- From: Hare, Ed W1RFI