RFI

Re: [RFI] Switchers ...

To: <dave@nk7z.net>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Switchers ...
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 00:46:45 -0600
Your question is far too non-specific to have merit. The generic answer to "what do you replace a noisy switer with" - is a linear supply.

It's too heavy. It's too inefficient. It's too big. Well, that' gets you into a more nuanced question - and the answers are more nuanced.

Switching power supplies, properly designed, can be RFI quiet. And a noisy PS can be quieted down for the most part but it may take serious work, serious money and serious time.

There are a lot of variables in the subject. Which is part of the reason Jim's document is big. If you want an easy answer, buy a linear PS for every switcher that gives you problems. In the same way that a Chevette will let you drive from NYC to LA, it will do the job although you may not like the ride.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: David Cole