RFI

Re: [RFI] likely frequency for LED bulbs?

To: wa4tuk <wa4tuk-rf@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] likely frequency for LED bulbs?
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 07:52:33 -0500
wa4tuk <wa4tuk-rf@comcast.net> writes:

> Thank you for posting your results. Information about what makes noise
> and what is (relatively) quiet is hard to find. I will say I am
> surprised. So far I have avoided LED lamps (A19 style) and use a mix
> of incandescent and CFL where appropriate.

I was surprised when I got the first one.

> I would have thought the switching rate would have been in the 100kHz
> range with harmonics radiating.

Please note that I said I have other RFI sources; an attic antenna is
not a good situation to start with.  I had dealt with a number of them,
but the base level was higher than I expected yesterday.  So it's
possible that these are problematic in quieter situations.  Also, I
didn't sweep everywhere, so if there is a square wave spectrum that's
pretty limited to harmonics, I could well have missed it.

Given that these cost only $5ish these days (and that you may want to
preserve your stockpile of pre-ban bulbs :-) it seems worth buying one
or two to try out to see if you can hear them.

(Power supplies for LED strip lighting seem to be an entirely different
situation.)

73 de n1dam