RFI

Re: [RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router.
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 21:38:45 -0800
On Sun,1/11/2015 8:53 PM, Kenneth G. Gordon wrote:
I guess the bigger question is - why is there so much RF in your shack to
blowstuff up?
The router is upstairs from my shack, at least 30 feet away. There does not
appear to be ANY RF "in the shack", which is in the basement at the other
end of the house from the router.

Lots of foggy thinking in this thread.

Again, what matters is proximity of the ANTENNAS to the victim electronics. If we transmit to an antenna, we SHOULD have RF in the shack -- having no RF in the shack means that the antennas are not working! When that RF gets into equipment, it is the fault of THAT EQUIPMENT or its wiring or both.

There's an antenna system defect that can put more RF in the shack without making the antenna work better -- common mode current on the feedline that finds a sink in the earth by way of the shack earth connection, or to the power system line if the shack lacks that earth connection. THAT'S the primary reason for using a beefy common mode choke at the antenna feedpoint.

Another point I failed to mention in my earlier post. The DSL signal is carried in differential mode on the telephone line as modulation of carriers up to several MHz -- that is, IN THE SAME RANGE as our 160M and 80M band. DSL equipment AND WIRING must be carefully designed and implemented to resist coupling onto the differential pairs, AND onto wiring inside the DSL equipment (that is, the circuit board). Good board layout can strongly reject that coupling, simple dumb mistakes can cause VERY STRONG coupling. Henry Ott has a great treatment of these issues in the latest edition of his classic EMC text. http://www.hottconsultants.com/

73, Jim K9YC