RFI

[RFI] Heated dog water dish

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Heated dog water dish
From: dalej <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 08:46:34 -0600
Just want to relate a noise problem that I've had for a few winters.  Always in
cold weather would this intermittent arc welder noise happen, especially bad on
20 meters.  Well, I finally had a chance to question a suspect neighbor across
the street who has a couple of dogs about outside water dishes which have a
heater.  Sure enough, he had one behind the house out of sight and it was
plugged in.  He was very cooperative in letting me walk though the house to
look at this dish.  We unplugged it and I went back to the shack to listen for
the noise, it was gone.  Mind you, when this thing was sparking it was S-9+ and
wiped out 20 m for 5 or so seconds every minute, more often as the weather got
colder.  Anyway once unplugged the noise was gone.  I said I'll buy you a new
water dish if I can have the old one, he agreed, I did and it's now in use and
the band is quiet again.  I have the dish in my possession and will take a
couple pictures of it perhaps contact ARRL with the inf
 ormation.  These water dishes when in failure mode are like arc welders, yes,
that bad.  How long it would have continued to work is unknown, it might last
for years or stick closed or open the next day.  It's been a problem for the
past few winters and to work around it I had a noise canx box, which helped
plus If the antenna was pointed away from that direction it was less noise.

Anyway for what it's worth the brand is K & H Thermal Bowl.  I have pictures if
anyone is interested.  The bowl I purchased is the same brand and model.  We
shall see how long it lasts.

Long story, sorry.

73
Dale, K9VUJ