RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI into modem and GFCI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI into modem and GFCI
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 23:28:50 -0500
On 1/12/2015 4:44 PM, George VE3YV wrote:

Here, we use a single GFI wired "through" as the first outlet on each circuit, or a single GFI breaker, so ALL outlets operate as if they are GFIs. That should be acceptable in most areas as another GFI would be redundant.

. All the 120 VAC circuits are wired that way in my shop and as time permits we are doing the same in the house. The problem with the house is tracing out all the circuits. " cut a lot of corners when they built this place such as in the garage. I insulated the garage and was going to panel the walls with chip board overlain with plaster board. After all, I'd done it before and it should go fast even with a large garage. Shore it would<sigh> There were only two sheets of chipboard that didn't have to be cut, The 2 4s were laughingly on 16" centers... +/- up to 4" I say "up to" as there is no uniformity. One might be 20 and the next, 14, or 13, or... The wiring is the same. The only wiring that is up to standard is what I've done.

I have a 30A 120 VAC "Line conditioner" that will feed both computers, their monitors, and the rigs. Right now, the rigs and the amp are on their own circuits. The other outlets are on the end of a long "daisy chained circuit of three other rooms :that I know of. I've only found one junction box in the attic and there should be at least two more, BUT instead of going back to the attic, they/he just went through the walls to the next room. They "tend" to alternate (which they should) as to outlets, then lights, then outlets. The circuits are longer than they should be, probably to limit the number of breakers on the original 60 A service. I put in a 200A and have been dividing the circuits up as to load limits. So far, I've only added 2 circuits, one being the 240 VAC for the amp and 120 VAC for the rigs.I only have a capacity for a few more, just breaking up circuits. When I finish the computers and rigs will be on one and the amp on another.

I know there is one poor connection, but haven't found it yet and it could be a problem for RFI as well as safety. My wife has fired up a carpet sweeper and dumped the computers, even with each on its own UPS. I can find the outlets and lights that are on it, but I need to trace the actual wiring.

All that aside, the only chokes I had to add were in the coax to the 75 meter, center fed, fan dipole. As a standard practice the wire antennas get a choke at the feed point. I've not found ant problems "from y network", but a couple years ago the typical network birdies turned up.

I eliminated one CAT 5 line tonight, so tomorrow I'll check the other. I'm a bit puzzled as all the directories on that drive show a padlock on them. It is not at all difficult to get rid of, but "Why is the sharing on those directories locked"? It wasn't two weeks ago, I've added no new software or hardware, and have found no dangerous Viruses,. worms, or mall-ware. I have had my computer suddenly shout "Threat Detected" a few times, and a daily cleaning two day ago found 142 new threats which it quarantined. The problem existed before those did.

And no! I didn't do it and forget in a senior moment.

A quick side note on this thread:  most electrical codes require any outlet
near (within 1 meter = 39") water or outdoors to have a  GFCI for safety.
Granted in this case the pipes are plastic, so no direct metallic connection
to ground, but water does conduct at a level.   A worst case analogy would
be a FD back in university days where in the middle of the night one of the
guys decided to go outside the operating tent to improve the ground
conductivity of our ground stake and . got quite a surprise.  Of course that
water had somewhat better conductivity.

73, George VE3YV / K8HI

---