RFI

[RFI] An interesting RFI "noise" on 40 meters

To: Rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] An interesting RFI "noise" on 40 meters
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 22:12:25 -0000
So, now I have a "new" one...at least for me. Some sort of
weird-sounding, very unstable raucus oscillation sound. Appears about
every 12 kHz from 7002 kHz to at least 7350 kHz, although that is as far
as I've so far tuned for it.

Wanders back and forth at 2 to 3 kHz while it is on, then suddenly stops
for up to 30 seconds following a slight "pop", then resumes. Seems to
start out somewhat "quiet" then build in intensity over a period of about
20 to 30 seconds.

Signal level is 10dB over S-9 throughout the entire spectrum. Normal band
noise level during the day here is S-9.

Receiver is an FT-890 in USB mode. In AM mode, it isn't nearly as
annoying, although still strong.

I have a short .WAV file of it if anyone would care to listen to it. I
cannot find anything on the ARRL's sounds of RFI list to match it.

Ideas?

Ken W7EKB