RFI

Re: [RFI] Impedance at 60 hz

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Impedance at 60 hz
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 09:00:22 -0700
On Fri,5/22/2015 8:28 AM, Aaron Kreider wrote:
How close is the impedance at 60 hz for material 31 to zero?

Very.

I want to filter the inputs and outputs to my 5000 watt solar inverter with ferrite chokes, and I'm wondering if there is any risk of overheating?

The output of that inverter is not only 60 Hz -- if it produces RF noise, it's because it has strong square wave components. If you add inductance in series with individual conductors, you will round off those square waves, which is likely to increase the dissipation in the switching devices, which could overheat them and cause them to fail. The same is true of charge regulators. Trying to filter these components can be like putting lipstick on a pig. Why not buy stuff that is RF clean in the first place?

We do not have an overheating problem if we wind all three conductors through a common mode choke, because the net current through the core is quite small (that is, the current in the phase conductor is cancelled by the current in the neutral). The problem with that is that conductors rated for 40A (I'm assuming 120VAC) can't be wound multiple turns through a ferrite core. If it's 240VAC, you might manage an effective choke with #12 conductors, which are rated for 20A. For that choke, use both phases and green.

If you already own this beast, a better solution is a good line filter, properly installed. That means zero length leads, including a zero length bond between the shielding enclosure of the filter and the shielding enclosure of the inverter.

It's also a good move to run all pulsed currents in twisted pairs. This minimizes radiation from the differential component of the current.

73, Jim K9YC