RFI

Re: [RFI] Xfinity X1 service

To: Alan NV8A <nv8a@charter.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Xfinity X1 service
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 17:37:35 -0400
Sorry I didn't answer this sooner.

You have to ask them as I don't see it listed either. I even receive adds for packages with "starting at" 60 some Mbs. We have the basic high speed internet plus the "Internet Ultra 100 upgrade". The upgrade costs more than the 60 Mbs package.

I received a phone call saying I was exceeding the "average" amount downloaded for my tier. I had never seen a limit posted, so never paid attention. They mentioned several packages with higher speeds and no limits. I said I'd be happy to purchase a higher speed package with no limits One was a 100 Mbs. They have higher speed commercial packages, but those get a bit pricey. I don't remember the upload speed limit, but it is less than 100 Mbs. It's enough to allow streaming video and gaming at the same time.

In this small den (converted small bedroom) I have rigs that cover 1.8 through 440 MHz. Only 220 MHz is missing. My HF amp can run the legal limit, any mode, no time limit. The shop is 28 X 40 feet and it's much more comfortable to operate out there. Quieter too. But there are 3 130' runs of CAT-5 from the switch to the shop. The rigs out there also hook to the computers with a setup similar to the den, only the amps don't have quite as much muscle. They'd struggle to make 1500 PEP and are more comfortable at 1KW and 1.2 KW.

No interaction between the CAT-5 Gigabit network, multi band wireless, and the two stations has been detected. I do have 2 common mode chokes in the coax to the 75 meter, half wave, center fed, sloping fan dipole. One st the feed point and one where the coax reaches the tower. I have taken no additional measures to prevent RFI. OTOH I need to say that none of the computer parts, from the heavy steel cases to the large power supplies are typical of computer sold at big box stores.

Running with the station wiring is the RG6 to the cable modem, the CAT-5 jumper to the router setting on the dummy load which sets on the line tuner. I use a Alpha Delta coax switch to select the antennas or the AIM. This prevents running power into the AIM. There are two serial cables from the main rig to the com ports. (If you build them, many motherboards have com ports resident) In addition there are 2 full size steel tower cases (Weigh 30# empty) with state of the art computers running 4.1 and 4.7 GHz on 8 core CPUs. One with 16 GB and one with 32 GB of DDR3 RAM plus two 4 bay servers on CAT-5 In addition to the HF transceiver (FT5000MP) being directly connected to the computers, they are physically close at 3 to 5 feet.

If I set the 2-meter HT directly on top of the one computer, it will occasionally break the squelch, but even lifting the HT an inch and the computer can not be heard. The spectrum analyzer has to make close contact to the steel case to detect any signals which are very weak. (IE a foot or so, of wire within about an inch of the case)

HOWEVER lightening got into the CAT-5 network last summer. (I don't think it was a direct hit) IIRC It took out the router, 8 port switch 3 NICs and one motherboard. No immediate damage to the rigs although I had a duoband 144/440 Diamond antenna fail around that time. As solid state components can be "hurt" and not immediately fail, I'm not sure if I have seen the last of it.

The computers in the shop are going wireless to get rid of those three 130' long, CAT-5 lightening catchers.

73

Roger  (K8RI)