RFI

Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)

To: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 10:59:47 -0700
On 22 Jul 2015 at 11:38, Larry Benko wrote:

> Egads Ken!
>
> 2650V with a 500 ohm load would be 5.3A which is 14,045 Watts.  This is
> EXTREMELY unlikely :-)
> Wouldn't you agree?

If that was "steady state" I most certainly WOULD agree with you!!

Absolutely! However, these is a very short pulses, possibly on the order of 1
microsecond or so.

Similar to the 6293 tube, which is a pulse-rated version of the 6146. Typical
operating conditions for that tube are 3000 volts at 1.5 amps, or 4500 watts,
while plate dissipation rating for that tube is only about 20 watts.

Under these conditions for that tube, the pulse is only 1 microsecond long
with a pulse repetition rate of 3000 cps.

There are similar conditions for pulse-rated versions of other popular
amplifier tubes like the pulse-rated version of the 4-125 (the 4D21), and
4-250 ( I don't remember this one, maybe the 4D32). As I remember it, these
are capable of something like 10 KW or more in pulse service.

So, yes, IFF that 2650 Volts at 5.3A were under steady-state conditions, the
equipment would burn up in a flash.

At 1 microsecond pulses, it just "says", "What was that?" ;-)

Ken W7EKB