RFI

Re: [RFI] [Bulk] Re: Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] [Bulk] Re: Electric Fence pulsing (will get worse soon !)
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 14:53:50 -0500 (CDT)
why is this so hard?  special radios, special antennas, ultrasonics, etc, etc,
etc... if we needed all that stuff before hunting for something we would never
get it done.  I have 2 radios I have used for hunting...

from the car just a ts-2000 hf receiver, though any hf ssb/cw radio would do, I
use either the old hustler vertical without a loading coil or if it is really
strong just the quick disconnect stub that sits on the mount... that give me
enough range of signal detection to get in the neighborhood... then I have one
special antenna, 3 or 4 turns of wire about 18" in diameter with a spare hunk
of coax connected to it taped to a piece of 1x2 from the scrap heap.  no
shielding, no tuning cap, just some ferrites around the coax at the feed point
to get rid of some feedline pickup.  it may not be very sensitive, but it is
very directional over a wide range of frequencies, it zeroed me in on the lamp
ballast I found about 1/2 mile away.

the only other radio I use is when I am on foot its a handheld grundig
shortwave receiver.  with that I can walk up to poles or df things like
electric fences without being too conspicuous.  with the built in ferrite rod
it is very directional and usually points me right at what I'm looking for.
last year I heard a new electric fence, driving around the known ones didn't
tell me anything useful so I went walking with the grundig, it quickly
eliminated the known fences near the road and kept pointing me at a different
neighbor's property, but not at anything I could make out from the road about
500' from where the bearings crossed.  I asked the neighbor about it and it was
an old fence charger he put on a small fence around his beehive to keep bears
away.  when I explained what it was doing he quickly turned it off and found
some other way to keep the bears out, even though I offered to find him a quiet
charger.  this has also found arcing grounding hardware on power poles, i
 ntermittent, very annoying... something wrong with a pole transformer, and
also verification of the lamp ballast.

The only time I have used yagi's and vhf for hunting was a vhf birdie from a tv
preamp oscillating, it took bearings from 3 or 4 base stations to get close
then a 4 element fox hunt antenna to find the specific house... though it could
also have been done by removing a rubber duck from an ht and walking around.

my point is... GET OUT THERE AND FIND IT!  USE WHAT YOU HAVE OR IMPROVISE!
ITS USUALLY NOT THAT HARD!