RFI

Re: [RFI] New bulb? Acandescence in Finallly bulb

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] New bulb? Acandescence in Finallly bulb
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 01:19:52 -0400

They may be the greatest thing since sliced bread, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrodeless_lamp BUT: Any add that makes the claim " WHATEVER technology has been heralded as one of the best-kept secrets in whatever FIELD makes me wonder as I can probably find that statement in about a quarter of the adds on the Internet. According to Wikipedia (above link) It was only a few years ago that they became useful for general lighting. They are very efficient, but many are of a plasma type. Also a number of the exciting frequencies appear to be problematic and RFI is listed in the disadvantages. As the induction type tend to be large, most home lighting would probably be of the plasma type.

When it comes to Lumens, look at fluorescent tubes. I have 11 8' fixtures in the shop. I'll have to check as part is full spectrum and part is the warmer color. There are 60 and 75 Watt tubes. I get between 3,000 and 4,000 Lumen with 35W of power according to the labels.

There are 11 8' fixtures with two of those tubes in each one. I'd like to replace them with LEDs which would cut the power consumption considerably. 22 100 W equivalent LEDs "Might" do the trick at close to $500 just for the lights and I'd need to hire it done. I'd need to live to be a hundred to save that much.

These are T12 and the T8 is regarded as a replacement for the T12. Unfortunately "they" tell me they are not interchangeable. If I can no longer get T12s it means replacing all fixtures. The T12s last about a year and a half, or considerably less than the 5000 hours stamped on the box. I purchase a couple cases and change them all at once. Yes I could get a "little" more use out of them, but I'd be changing tubes every few days for a month or so. Their life times are quite consistent. two cases at less than $50 and about $50 in labor to change them all at one time.

Standards: Lumens/watt seem to be going down. I just did some finishing of so called, high quality Birch plywood. The surface, finish laminate is so thin you don't dare try to sand out a scratch. Forger dents, just let the finish even them out. Compare that to the plywood of 30, or 50 years ago. 50 years ago, that surface laminate on 3/4" plywood might have been close to 1/8th inch. How much cure, or drying does lumber get from cutting to the sale at the lumberyard? I've had 2 X 4s twist up looking like an airplane propeller in just a week or two. <:-))

73

Roger  (K8RI)