RFI

[RFI] Typical circuit paths

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Typical circuit paths
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 07:29:26 -0500
Often, a circuit well feed the lights in one room and the outlets in the next. Usually outlets have two Romex (B,W, Bare) wire bundles coming in. One is the power coming in ant the other goes back up across the attic and down to the next outlet. IOW, Daisy Chained. It uses more wire, but the connections are usually more secure, but I have found loose connections. Sometimes there is a junction box "up there" where runs are tied together uding wire nuts. These can be spots of high resistance, if the nuts have loosened via heating and cooling. They shouldn't but it does happen.So, each fixture, outlet, switch, and junction box can be a possible source of noise.

I've mentioned the one circuit we have that is daisy chained through a number of rooms. If my wife starts a vacuum sweeper in the back bedroom, the UPSs in here on that circuit all alarm and switch over, but immediately switch back. That leads me to suspect a poor connection, "somewhere" along that run. I've just never managed to trace the entire circuit out. "I suspect" there is a junction box "somewhere" in the attic, between the living room and back bedroom. But I really need to trace that circuit out. "They" cut a lot of corners when this house was built.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

---