RFI

Re: [RFI] Blower noise from Carrier Furnace

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Blower noise from Carrier Furnace
From: "Kenneth Goodwin" <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:22:14 -0600
The Trane RFI document validates my belief that the thermostat wiring is an
RFI mechanism although I had just the opposite problem.  Every time I keyed
the linear, the compressor would turn on.  Luckily the compressor would time
out with the next dit or dah so it wasn't damaged with my 25 WPM.  Per Bud
Hippsley's W2RU Furnace RFI suggestion I ended up with the ferrites and an
RFI choke (small inductor from Radio Shack and a 0.01 mfd capacitor) on each
thermostat control line.  I also put a few ferrites out at the compressor
end of the control line.  I gave some consideration to using shielded CAT
cable for the thermostat control line but the RFI chokes took care of the
problem.  As the HVAC control systems get more complicated with advancing
technology (read as more electronics), the RFI problem has only gotten worse
with time. The Trane document from Tim really looks like some good
engineering.  I might have some concern over the HVAC warranty if one were
to install such remedies but as stated the cost of the parts is nowhere near
the $189 dollars for the Trane kit.  Ken K5RG