RFI

Re: [RFI] cops zero in on noisy grow light ballasts

To: "RFI@contesting.com" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] cops zero in on noisy grow light ballasts
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 17:17:29 +0000
Actually, the formal name of ARRL now is ARRL, with American Radio Relay League
still maintained, of course.

Now, as to the noisy grow lights, in some areas, growers are concerned that law
enforcement may find them, but they are even more concerned that people can use
RF noise to identify that there is a growing operation in a particular house.
With the 16hour on/off cycles during the growing season and a switch to 12 hour
cycles as the crop is nearing harvest, they not only know what it is, but they
know when it is ready for harvest. That has gotten the attention of growers
even in states where it is legal to grow under state law.

Ed Hare, W1RFI