RFI

[RFI] 60W Great Value LED, forgot to mention...

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 60W Great Value LED, forgot to mention...
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 19:08:53 -0800
I knew I forgot something!

Since I'm using the 40, 75 and 100W equivalent Great Value LEDs, why not the
60's?

Heat for one, 196ºF!!!  I checked with an optical pyrometer (fancy name for
infrared thermometer) at 10 and 20 minutes.  At ten it was around 184ºF and
topped out at 196ºF at 20 minutes.  Too hot for me.

Additionally, they made a mechanical buzzing sound like a bad CFL or a
buzzing florescent tube lamp in a shop in cold weather.  So, heat and noise,
mechanically.  They also seemed to produce more RFI than the Sylvania
Osrams, not much, detectable on VHF at about 2" as opposed to about 1".

So, Great Value 60W LED, bad as far as I'm concerned, too many issues.  The
Sylvanias get warm, but not as hot.  There must be something about that
Wattage rating and how they produce it that creates more heat than others.

Kurt