RFI

[RFI] Wide-area RFI source located N Central Texas

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Wide-area RFI source located N Central Texas
From: JW via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:44:22 +0000 (UTC)
A "wide area" noise maker (arcing power-line pole hardware) that fired up about
a week ago was located and reported on Monday to Oncor.
It is located in far eastern Fairview, TX between Allen and McKinney. The
distribution line involved runs south from about the 11520 block of Stacy Rd
(lat/long 33.130419, -96.588186) between Stone Hinge Dr and Seattle Slew Ln.
A couple of us went out this last Saturday and with a portable Marine DF
(direction finding) receiver narrowed it down in a couple of hours to what
seems yo be a noisy distribution line segment. Last week I took a couple of
hours and scoured my area and determine that the 'source' was _not_ local to my
immediate neighborhood (in Allen) hence the bigger expedition on Saturday.
In the process, I came up with a mental list of local noise sources, but none
as impacting at the QTH as the wide-area 'arcer'. I mentioned to Oncor thaT
this wide area 'arcer' is likely affecting more than just a few people as well
as possibly operations involving comms and NAV at the local McKinney/Collin
County airport.
The interference, appearing about a week ago, is most pronounced in the 1.8 to
2.0 MHz range, but is also detectable in the LW aeronautical beacon band of 200
- 400 kHz and in the upper end of the AM broadcast band. In close proximity it
can be heard on a 121 MHz aircraft comms receiver radio, too, which we used
close-in to detect RF arcing 'noise'.
Addenda, RFI Report --------------