RFI

Re: [RFI] Advice - CAT direct burial cable

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Advice - CAT direct burial cable
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:51:23 -0800
On Mon,2/29/2016 1:27 PM, Gary Smith wrote:
Now that my health is a bit better I am going to replace the CAT-5
cable I have been using for

1. A 350' run to my remote coax switch.

2. a 400' run to my HI-Z controller.

How much current, what frequency (or DC), how much IR drop can you tolerate for each? CAT5 is pretty small conductors
.
What I originally did 5 years ago was buy ribbon CAT-5, used for
indoor installations and lay it on the ground to the remote Coax box
and to the HI-Z. Leaves covered it and after a couple of years you
can't see it.

Belden makes some excellent jacketed CAT5/6 cables. They are strongly recommended.

I am though having issues with RFI I haven't located yet and was
thinking the parallel wires and not being burial wire may have some
disadvantage under twisted pair, direct burial cable.

For RFI, twisted pair is VERY superior to parallel wires, but ONLY if you're using one pair per circuit.

Most all of the CAT cable that's direct burial and with twisted pairs
that I've looked at though use 24G copper clad aluminium wire.

I would reject this sort of cable on the basis of conductor resistance, assuming that the control signal is DC or LF AC. I've had several runs of ordinary indoor PVC jacketed cable laying outdoors on the ground for about 7 years, with no issues.

Most issues with RFI on long cable runs are likely to be common mode rather than differential mode. If that's true, common mode chokes are usually the best solution.

73, Jim K9YC