RFI

Re: [RFI] Topband: Tecsun 660

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Topband: Tecsun 660
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 16:46:31 -0500
On 3/8/2016 4:19 PM, Hare, Ed W1RFI wrote:
I can't imagine this reliably working well. If noise gets onto long, overhead
power lines, it will radiate for a long distance. The noise radiated by lines
closer to the shack than the actual source will often skew off the apparent
azimuth angle,

Once upon a time, in a place far away, I got involved chasing down some Cable TV "wireless" modems (carrier current, really) on 3.52 MHz. Ed will remember that particular problem.

The most effective way I had to locate each one of those little monsters was to drive around with my mobile rig in the car until I found neighborhood with the strongest signals, then get out of the car and walk from dwelling to dwelling with my AOR 8000 handheld and a small loop antenna. That usually led me to the house, and even the room with a modem.

Not always, though. One problem carrier led me to an advertising sign outside a strip mall. This was obviously impossible, and I cast around in wider and wider circles until I found the actual source, in an apartment complex nearby. The sign on its pedestal was being excited by the RF on underground power wiring from across the street.

One amusing thing happened during these searches; as I cruised down the streets in one subdivision, I noticed people running out front doors into back yards. The first time I saw that, I figured someone had left the steak on the barbecue, and the second time that perhaps the dog had gotten loose. By the third time I had figured it out: It was Super Bowl Sunday; they thought I was from the cable company, and were running out back to disconnect the illegal connections they made so their neighbors could watch the game.

Who says this ain't fun?

Cortland Richmond
ka5s