RFI

[RFI] Doorbell Transformer RFI ??

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Doorbell Transformer RFI ??
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 20:55:15 -0700
I've heard for years that doorbell transformers could be noisy, yet the mechanism was not clear and I've never found one that was noisy.

But it just hit me -- electrical supply houses sell no-name, unlabeled switch-mode power supplies to provide low voltage DC for low voltage lighting circuits, and they CALL them "electronic transformers." Is it possible that the noisy doorbell transformers I've heard about are really an SMPS? Or is it a real transformer whose windings have deteriorated?

73, Jim K9YC