RFI

Re: [RFI] Powerline noise humps?

To: Mike Ryan <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Powerline noise humps?
From: JW via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 12:40:14 +0000 (UTC)
My suggestion: Track it down and then ID it; manufacturers today are employing
'clock dithering techniques' to avoid any specific, individual, high amplitude
single-frequency emissions in order to pass FCC radiated emissions regulations.
As emissions are measured using specific defined bandwidths, this trick spreads
the energy between multiple adjacent 'freq bins' and no individual bin will
break above the regulatory emission spectral limit curve or spec.

Used to be that when I drove around listening on 10m that on a certain freq
above 28.5 MHz that multiple near-on-frequency signals could be heard
heterogeneity together as one drove through the mass of humanity in various
neighborhoods. I think this was due to CRT computer monitors in use the time.

de Jim WB5WPA