RFI

Re: [RFI] Broadband RFI...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Broadband RFI...
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 07:26:03 -0700
On Tue, 2016-05-31 at 08:33 -0500, David Robbins wrote:
> the only difference in hunting a broadband noise is that you have to
> be sure that when you go from your shack to mobile that you are
> hearing the same noise and aren't being distracted by a different
> one.  having someone to help you get started who can mark the time the
> noise starts in the shack while you are listening in the mobile can be
> useful so you can be sure you are hearing it.
>
> if it is something like one of the grow light supplies they can be
> very unstable when they turn on.  look at the spectrum displays on
> 12/13 that show one starting up on my web page at: http://wiki.k1ttt.n
> et/2012%20Maintenance%20and%20Upgrade%20Blog.ashx#160mrfi   (be
> patient it may take a few minutes to load as there are lots of
> pictures on that page)

Thank you for the quick comeback on this!

Regarding DFing it, you tagged my main fear/issue-- being broadband RFI,
with no signature, will it very difficult to correlate it on the mobile
rig...  I think I may start, by driving around the area, and taking S
meter readings, then put them on a map, then draw contour lines.  That
may help me get closer, and avoid the mis-correlations that I am sure
will happen...

Thanks for the images, I can see I need to get the real spectrum
analyzer (as opposed to the P3), out and connect it to the antenna and
wait...  I am seeing something sweep like mad upon startup, and I
suspect it is the same device...  I will see if I can grab a start up
image tonight on the P3.

I think I will wait to do this for a few days and pin down the start/end
times better first...

Do you know if these infernal devices have any output on 2 Meters?  If
so, is it broadband or is there something I might latch on to?  I could
wait for the startup/end, and see once I suspect a location I guess.

I suspect DFing this one will take some time...

--
73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)