RFI

Re: [RFI] Broadband RFI...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Broadband RFI...
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2016 12:56:58 -0700
On Wed, 2016-06-01 at 12:18 -0700, Jim Brown wrote:

> Thanks very much for those tips, Dave. I'll give them a try. I've
> always
> run it in color.
>
> I've used P3 and P3/SVGA screen dumps several times in stuff I've
> written, and they don't reproduce well on the printed page. For my
> most
> recent, I used Irfanview to turn them into greyscale, then negative,
> then played with brightness and contrast to optimize for the printed
> page. Prints MUCH better than the best I could do with color.
>
> Good luck with solving your noise problem. Note the stuff about grow
> lights in the RFI app note from W0IVJ and W0QE.

You are most welcome Jim, I would be interested in your thoughts on BW
mode as it relates to bringing things out of the mud in the display.  I
was floored what color was hiding the first time I put the P3 in BW
mode.

I now have both the start and end times of the RFI to the second, I will
do a bit of playing with the broadband signal to make sure I understand
how to DF it in the future, and how to ID it as well, then contact the
fellow...

I will probably sit outside of his house tonight at RFI start up time to
validate my assumptions, but not contact resident yet, I still want to
play with the signal a bit more.

At this point I am 99% sure it is the house I think it is, but
assumptions can have a way of biting one in the rear sometimes, so I
like to be sure of my assumption set before I ever even speak to a
possible RFI generator.

Thanks again for the info on this sort of RFI generator and a new paper
of your making to read!

--
73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)