RFI

Re: [RFI] Switching Power Supply test Video

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Switching Power Supply test Video
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 10:02:05 -0700
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the video and the link. I stopped watching by the time you were looking at 40M. Some criticisms -- 1) there's no information about antennas in use, or how close they were to the shack. 2) The frequency display is not set to average the signal, so it's much harder to distinguish noise like that from a SMPS. 3) The amplitude display was not set so that band noise produced a line very close to the bottom of the display, and the waterfall was near black on band noise. Such settings, combined with averaging, make it much easier to distinguish electronically generated noise.

In my testing of switching power supplies, I usually hear little if any noise on antennas that are 200 ft from the shack, but a TON of noise on a 160M vertical that is 25 ft from the shack. I suspect most hams have antennas that are in the range of 25-50 ft from the shack. That was my situation in Chicago.

73, Jim K9YC